Our Wesleyana Club stepped into the world of personal style at this year’s Wesleyana High Tea with special guest Juliet Cuerden, founder and creative director of Broochella.
Personal style is a form of self-expression, a way to communicate without words. It’s the art of curating a wardrobe that tells the story of who you are, where you’ve been, and where you’re headed. No one in Perth knows this better than Juliet, who is Perth’s premier atelier, personal stylist and current Wesley mother.
Since childhood, Juliet has always been passionate about style, design and fashion. Her love of brooches was inspired by Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City, and when travelling Europe in her younger years, a sequin fabric flower brooch, purchased from a flea market in London, was worn on her trusty denim jacket.
Seeking a change, what was meant to be a one-year escapade under the Tuscan sun led to twelve transformative years full of love, family, and personal growth. The influence of her Italian heritage and time spent in Italy is evident in her designs. Eventually returning to Perth, Juliet embarked on a personal styling career, bridging the gap between passion and profession. Thus, My Stylist Juliet was born, and a few years later, Broochella began.
Launched on Valentine’s Day in 2022, Broochella has swiftly become Perth’s premier atelier. Each brooch is designed in Australia and created by artisans locally and all over the world using European fabrics and the highest craftsmanship.
Juliet shared how she has a passion for sustainable fashion and how accessories, particularly brooches, can serve as an eco-conscious alternative to aimless purchases. Her brooch creations embody sustainability, often incorporating fabric offcuts to minimize waste. Brooches inject a dash of color and personality into outfits, allowing you to reinvent existing garments and reduce the need for new purchases. It’s a delightful way to enrich your style while aligning with sustainable values.
Our Wesleyana Club were also lucky enough to hear Juliet’s top 9 tips to ensure you always look stylish and help you cultivate a wardrobe that reflects who you are.
- Wardrobe Wisdom: Curate your wardrobe thoughtfully; items that remain untouched should find new homes.
- Make sure your clothes fit: Embrace clothes that fit well; prioritizing comfort and fit enhances your confidence.
- Learn how to balance proportions: Balance your outfit by juxtaposing structured pieces with flowy elements.
- Find your personal style and stick to it: Your personal style is uniquely yours; don’t emulate trends at the expense of your identity.
- Become a better shopper: Imagine three outfit combinations with each new purchase to ensure versatility.
- Accessorise: Accessories add personality; they’re the secret to elevating your look.
- Play with colour: Embrace color; it adds vibrancy to your day and boosts your confidence.
- Mix patterns and textures: Mixing textures creates dimension; experiment with fabrics to add visual intrigue.
- Be Confident: Confidence is key; wearing your outfit confidently elevates your style.
Juliet also left us with some final words of wisdom: “Style is personal and you need to stay true to yourself. Try to make that extra effort and go beyond your limits because that is what will give you that extra compliment during the day, and it’ll make you feel better all day!”
The Wesleyana Club at Wesley College is celebrating 60 years in 2023. The Club is for mothers of former students. If would like to learn more, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe to Wesley College News & Events