Years 5 and 6 are co-educational. The layout of the Middle School building used by Years 5 and 6 is designed to foster a gradual progression away from a primary school style of learning.
Middle School Year 7 & 8
In Year 7, the Middle School becomes boys-only. There is a greater sense of personal responsibility and accountability for learning in these years, including the opportunity to take part in Wesley’s unique Katitjin program.
The T.G. O’Sullivan Pavilion, is a multi-purpose space featuring sports hall and stage. Formerly the Swan Street Pavilion, it is named in recognition of Mr Trevor O’Sullivan who attended Wesley College in the 1960s – the start of a five-decade association during which Trevor made a most extraordinary – and possibly unsurpassed – commitment to Wesley College Council and the life of the School.
Filled with the sound of Wesley’s younger children every lunch and recess, Hanton Quadrangle is named in recognition of Hardy Berwick Hanton. He was one of the College’s first students, joining us in 1924, before going on to become a teacher here and ultimately taking the role of inaugural Director of the OWCA between 1976 and 1988.
Manning House is home to our Junior School. It is named after a College icon, Mildred Manning MBE (nee Le Souef). Mrs Manning taught Biology and Physics from the opening of Wesley in 1923 through to 1970. She then took the less strenuous role Laboratory Assistant until retiring in 1976. A phenomenal 53 years of service.
The boarding culture at Wesley College is considered to be one of the best in the country. That all begins with ensuring that the Boarding House is a happy place where every boy feels safe and respected. Our boarding facilities are designed for 160 students.
The Health Centre is located at 46 Swan Street, adjacent to the Boarding House and opposite the tennis courts. It is managed and staffed by experienced registered nurses who are always available.
Wood Quadrangle sits outside the Middle School Atrium. It’s actually named after two people: Frank Wood Snr and Frank Wood Jnr. The older Mr Wood was Senior Resident Master, PE Teacher and Sports Coach from 1963 to 1982. Frank Wood Jnr shared his father’s sporting prowess and after being educated at Wesley he stayed here in a range of Sports Master roles until 2010.
Joseph Green Centre
The Joseph Green Centre is named after the Rev. Joseph Green who was associated with Wesley College’s Council from 1945 to 1973. The complex is home to a wide array of spaces from the Wesley College Gallery of Honour, to the JCG Goatcher Auditorium, to the Open Learning Centre.
Visual Arts and Design Technology Centre
If a student can imagine it, we’ve got everything needed to create it. Wesley College’s Visual Arts and Design Technology Centre has the cutting-edge materials, machines and educators to help passionate students realise their creative vision.
Old Boys' Memorial Rose Garden
The Old Boys’ Memorial Rose Garden was put in place following great work by the OWCA (the Old Wesley Collegians’ Association), It a peaceful, reflective place and the centre of our annual Anzac service.
The J.F. Ward Wing was the original College building, opened in 1923. It was remodelled in 1978 and again in 2012, but its classrooms still echo with the sense of nearly 100 years of boys learning.
The H.R. Trenaman Library was added as a second storey to one of the College’s earliest buildings, in 1971. It is named in recognition of Rev. Dr Hubert R Trenaman who was College Chaplain from 1935 to 1946, before taking on a teaching role and finishing his time at Wesley as College Librarian from 1966 to 1970.
The Mildred Manning Science Centre
There has always been a strong focus on the study of science at Wesley. Our newly-opened Science Centre is designed to be right on the cutting-edge of what’s possible, with drop zones, video walls, aquaponics and more. Like Manning House, it is named after Wesley College icon Mrs Mildred Manning.
Wesley’s pool is heated and flood-lit. It is 50m in length, but can be adapted to be a 25m pool when required. As well as being available for student lessons, the College opens the pool to the community at various times so families can swim together.
THIS IS THE ONE TO DELETE
Wesley Sports Club
Wesley’s Sports Centre, officially the Blanckensee Physical Education Centre, is home to basketball courts, badminton courts, weights rooms, and more. The Club is available to both the Wesley College family and the local community through casual day rates or various membership options.
Built in 1960, the Chapel was described at the time as ‘a bold experiment in church architecture’. Since then, our Uniting Church chapel has played host to numerous weddings, funeral services and other moments of worship.
On its ground floor, Kefford Wing houses the Head of College’s office, Central Reception and various administrative offices. Upstairs are classrooms. The building is named after Mr Roderic Kefford who was Wesley College’s Headmaster from 1984 to 1996.
Ward Oval faces Angelo Street and is used year-round for sports such as soccer and cricket. It is named in honour of John Frederick Ward OBE, the first headmaster of Wesley College from 1923 to 1929.
Rossiter Oval is named after James Leonard Rossiter CBE – Headmaster from 1930 to 1952. It has been the starting point for many elite cricket, rugby and AFL players.
From swimming towels to blazers, it can all be found at Wesley College’s Uniform Shop. It is usually open on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.
Junior School Resource Centre
The Junior School Resource Centre is more than a library. It is a dedicated space for Wesley’s younger students, separate from the main Trenaman Library. Inside is an array of age-appropriate books, break-out areas and other learning resources.
The Hamer Wing began life as a gymnasium before being converted in 2018 to become a magnet for innovation. Here, Wesley students can learn the skills that will be needed in the workplace of tomorrow, from coding to robotics, to 3D printing and more.
Wandjoo Miya – Languages Centre
The Wandjoo Miya – Languages Centre is a very special space, opened in October 2017.
The centre was designed to foster collaboration and cultural intelligence, with a focus on real-world situations, as opposed to traditional classroom settings.
The result is an open, collaborative space where students can explore different zones and find an environment that best supports their learning – from cooking Indonesian food in the kitchen to accessing technology in the Connect Bar.