Ian Carter (69-72)
‘I remember my time at Wesley with great fondness and joy. I have kept up with many of my classmates and many are still good friends. Sport was very important to me. I remember Headmaster Clive Hamer’s focus on the For Others Fund and I door knocked for various charities as part of that—a portent of things to come!’
Ian Carter started at Wesley College as a boarder at age fifteen. He joined Hardey House, was Vice-Captain of the Hockey 1stXI and Editor of the The Western Wyvern. In 1972, he won the Western Wyvern Prize and Under 16 Hockey Trophy.
Ian studied at the Western Australian Institute of Technology (WAIT), completing a Bachelor of Arts in Social Sciences in 1976, followed by a Diploma of Education from the University of Western Australia in 1977. He worked as a teacher, youth worker and education officer in a high school, and held management positions in the state public service.
For over two decades, Ian has been the Chief Executive Officer of Anglicare WA. He uses his passion for community capacity building and social justice to great effect, creating and governing community organisations at local, national and international levels. Ian believes that the mark of a community is how it looks after the vulnerable and he has strived to do his part to contribute to community service with this in mind.
Ian’s community roles have included:
- Community Enterprise Development Agency (CEDA)
- Australian Local Development Practitioners Association (ALDPA)
- Commonwealth Association for Local Action and Economic Development (COMMACT)
- Founding board member of the WA Community Foundation (WACF)
- Founding board member Leadership WA
- Deputy President of the Australian Council of Social Services
- President of the WA Council of Social Services
- President of Family Services Australia
- Chairman State Taskforce on Poverty Chairman Ministerial Housing Advisory Committee
- Deputy Chairman of Anglicare Australia Council Board Member of Mobile GP, a service for the homeless
- Founding board member of the Foyer Foundation, a national youth homelessness initiative Prime Minister’s Council on Homelessness
- Chair of the WA State Government Social Housing Taskforce