Headmaster, Mr Ross Barron
We often don’t remember what our favourite teacher, coach or mentor said to us, but we always remember the way they made us feel. This is what makes Wesley a ‘special’ place where there is an overwhelming sense of students who are connected, engaged and have positive and meaningful relationships.
At Wesley, we focus on a holistic education that emphasises the development of the well-balanced man or woman who is empowered, and wants to go out into the world and make a positive difference. There are many points of difference at Wesley that contribute to making this a reality for our students, such as:
- Our Middle School structure (Years 5 to 8) supporting students during adolescent years;
- Our Junior School teaching philosophy is a balance of inquiry, play-based learning as well as direct instruction and mastery learning;
- A unique geographical advantage that adds a village feel to the College;
- Our Katitjin Program (a 1 term off-campus immersion and experiential program) for Year 8 students;
- Our focus on Service, both in the curriculum, as well as outside the classroom;
- Our positive, solution-focussed philosophy for pastoral care;
- The co-educational nature of the primary years, up to Year 6;
- Our breadth of course offerings in the Senior School years;
- Our focus on the pursuit of excellence, to aim for your personal best every day;
- A co-curricular program that has tremendous depth and breath in all aspects of the arts, sport, culture and service;
- Our Indigenous program;
- Our proactive social and emotional life skills curriculum, developed right through from Pre-kindergarten to Year 12.
We see it as our responsibility to provide numerous opportunities and programmes for all members of the community to find meaning, enjoyment, and a sense of belonging and connection. A college based on Christian and Uniting Church beliefs and principles that provides a wonderful foundation for the values and moral code that guides the community, through changing societal values and norms.
Good teaching and learning is at the forefront of all that we do. It is sacred and at the core of the collective thinking and resourcing. Every individual in the College has the right to learn and grow. Every lesson, every experience should be an opportunity to learn and develop, both inside and outside the classroom.
The motto, Audendo Atque Agendo ‘By daring & by doing‘, matches the student culture – that we allow our students to take calculated risks and learn from the outcomes.
If you’d like to know more about Wesley, I warmly invite you to make contact and find out more about this special College.